This high protein, gluten free, low in sugar, low in carbs dish is perfect for winter! I threw a couple of the extra servings in tupperware dishes and froze them for something to grab and heat up for lunches.
You could steam the vegetables and fry the chicken before throwing it in the slow cooker, but it worked just as well adding everything all in one pot, and no extra clean up!
[Cleaned Up] Crock Pot Cashew Chicken
- 4 Large Chicken Breasts, Cut into strips
- 1/4 cup Oat Flour*
- 1/4 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil or Coconut Oil(To Coat Bottom of Crock Pot/Slow Cooker)
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce or Tamari for Gluten Free
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar or Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp of Grated fresh ginger
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup Salted Cashews
- Veggies of your choice (I used a LOT, probably 6-8 cups: a can of water chestnuts, broccoli, red and green pepper and snap peas. If you want it really saucy, bump the vegetable content way down).
- Add oil to bottom of slow cooker.
- Shake the chicken pieces in a ziplock bag with the oat flour and pepper.
- Turn the slow cooker on high then throw in the chicken for 15 minutes or so just to start the cooking. Then turn down to low.
- In a bowl mix the sauce ingredients- soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes.
- Add your veggies into the slow cooker, and on top of that the sauce.
- Cook for low for about 4 hours (this may be different depending on your slow cooker obviously). Stir every once in a while to keep the veggies and chicken coated in sauce.
- Once the dish is cooked, add in cashews.
- Serve with a few more cashews on top!
Depending on how many veggies you throw in, this crock pot cashew chicken makes around 6 servings. *You can obviously sub out the oat flour for wheat flour as well, but it wouldn’t be gluten free.