Honestly, there is no real quick fix or magic method to getting rid of loose skin. There’s no magical potion or exercise that will get rid of your loose skin right away- except surgery. Part of the fix is time- it took your body 9 months to stretch the skin, so it will take a while to go back to normal- so don’t worry. There are some things you can do to help tighten skin after pregnancy.
How fast your skin tightens up again is also due to how active you were during pregnancy, your genes and bone structure, how much weight you gained, etc. If you gained over the recommended amount, it may take longer to have your belly skin tighten up.
There are, however, things you can do to aid in the tightening of skin post-baby and speed up the process. Here are 9 tricks to tighten skin after pregnancy–
- Start Doing Planks. Many women try to get their tummy back in shape by doing crunches. Crunches are fine, but they may not be enough to get that loose skin to tighten up. When you do planks, you suck in your tummy and hold it tight. This process of sucking in and tightening will do wonders for your belly. Start by doing 2 or 3 planks and holding them for 15 seconds. Work up to doing 30 second and 1 minute planks.
- Lose the last few baby pounds. The older you get, the harder it is to lose weight, and the less elastic our skin becomes. So pack up your baby and go for a walk every day.
- Once you’re back into shape, start a course of strength training. This one is crucial, and probably the most important. Not only is it a great way to get some “me” time, but putting on muscle helps you burn fat quicker, as well as toning your mid-section and anything you tighten up underneath the skin changes the appearance of the outside as well.
- Lose weight slowly- no fad diets!. Our skin’s elastic properties tighten more effectively when weight loss is gradual and not dramatic. You’ll often lose weight too quickly and gain it back once you can no longer stick to the whole “no carbs for the rest of your life,” thing.
- Exfoliate. I know it’s hard to grab a shower when you’re dealing with a new baby, but grab one as often as you can. Then make sure to exfoliate your skin. Scrubbing increases the flow of blood to the area and encourages the creation of more healthy and elastic skin.
- Slather on the body oil. There are tons of creams out there that promise to tighten skin, but the best kinds of cremes to use are collagen-based. If not then just use a simple body oil or coconut oil (that stuff is good for everything). Here is some good quality, affordable pure coconut oil.
- Up the H2O Drink tons of water. Not only is it wonderful for you while (if) you’re nursing, water is a great way for skin to remain healthy, happy, and tighter.
- Bump Up Protein Intake. Lean proteins helps build lean muscle, which increases the tone of your muscles. Lean protein ALSO has tons of nutrients (like collagen) to help our skin remain elastic.
- Patience. This is the most important part. It’s frustrating, not having your body back after baby, but be patient. This is also the hardest part. It can take well over six months for our body to regain the elasticity after a major weight loss. In the meantime, be patient and kind to yourself, you just grew a human.